Choosing the right construction company for your retail build out is essential to the short-term and long-term success of your business. Without the right skills, expertise and approach, your build out project could be disastrous; alienating customers, driving up costs and having a serious negative impact on your bottom line.
Taking the following factors into consideration when choosing your retail build out partner helps to ensure that your project goes smoothly from start to finish.
- Experience – Experience is the number-one factor to look for when it comes to choosing the right build out service provider. General construction experience is one thing, but retail build outs require a different level of planning and expertise that most run-of-the-mill construction companies simply don’t have. Will they take your customers’ shopping schedules and patterns into account? What precautions will they take to ensure the protection of your merchandise? Make sure the build out company you choose has a strong history of working with retail businesses like yours. Don’t be afraid to request references from past clients and, of course, do some research online. The better business bureau in your area keeps detailed records of consumer complaints and might prove a valuable resource.
- Customization – It’s important to partner with a build out provider willing to take a customizable approach to your project, working with your business and taking your unique requirements into consideration. Will they build a team of highly skilled and qualified professionals and experts around your project or just work around a “whoever’s available” crew? Will they take a right-tool-for-the-job or a one-service-fits-all approach to your build out? Without the right knowledge and expertise in place to meet every challenge and expectation, your retail build out is likely to suffer regular setbacks and delays.
- Deadlines – While an experienced retail build out company will design their schedule around your customer traffic patterns and minimize their impact when and wherever possible, in-store construction projects are always somewhat disruptive. It’s important, therefore, to partner with a build out provider capable of setting clear and definite project deadlines and completing their work in spec and on schedule so you can get back to business as usual.
- Regular Updates – Keeping your retail build out running smoothly through completion depends largely on good communication with your build out company. Look for a provider who prides themselves on regular updates to keep you informed of your project’s progress. If any challenges or setbacks occur, a good retail build out company will not only keep you informed, but will offer strategies and tactics to help your project get back on track and make sure all deadlines and expectations are met.
- Maintenance – It’s important to protect your reputation and appearance with a regular facility maintenance schedule. Will your retail build out company be there after construction is complete? Natural wear and tear over time is to be expected. By partnering with a provider that offers regular maintenance and follow-up, you can rest assured that, if any issues or emergencies arise, they will be dealt with by qualified professionals familiar with your build out.
- Quality Assurance – Your customers’ first impressions of your store are invaluable. That’s why quality workmanship should be a top concern of your retail build out company. What kind of quality assurances or guarantees do they provide? Do they offer punch list reviews? How about jobsite audits? Will they leave your store as clean as they found it every day? By partnering with a company dedicated to providing robust quality controls and measures, you protect those vital customer first impressions from the kind of damage that no amount of construction can repair.
- Value Engineering – High-quality craftsmanship is an important consideration for every project. However, when it comes to retail construction, it’s often necessary to strike the right balance between appearance and functionality to manage materials costs and complete your build out on budget. Be sure to partner with a retail build out company that provides value-engineered options to help you maintain the all-important appearance and function of your retail space at an affordable price.
- Rules & Regulations – In addition to federal and state guidelines, every municipality has its own rules and regulations governing the commercial construction industry. That’s why it’s important to find a knowledgeable retail build out provider familiar with your city’s building codes and requirements.
- Warranties – One of the most important factors to consider when choosing a build out provider is whether or not they stand behind their work. How do you know your build out will stand the test of time and not fall apart as soon as the construction crew packs up their equipment? Look for a build out partner that not only takes pride in the quality craftsmanship they provide but who will guarantee that quality with a comprehensive warranty program.
National Maintenance & Build Out Company (NMBOC) is a fully insured and licensed general contractor providing a wide array of customizable construction solutions for retail operations, shopping centers and professional offices of every size.
For help with your retail construction project, contact us or call 888.340.6900.